Friday 22 June 2012

Melanzane alla Parmigiana

Today we have a bake. A vegetable bake. Not my normal scene, if I’m honest. I have nothing against vegetarians but my idea of a successful vegetarian dish is one which you can finish without having shouted ‘WHERE’S THE MEAT?’ at any point.

I am pleased to report that this is one of those dishes. It’s soothing, warming, comforting and good for you (depending on your stance on cheese, which personally I think is fine). It’s quick, easy, much more than the sum of its parts and everyone ate all of it. Well, apart from sister number 4 who said it tasted ‘so rank she was literally going to vomit’. I would ignore that though, she is a teenager.

Serves 4. You will need:
· 2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
· 2 aubergines
· 150g mozzarella
· 75g parmesan
· 1 onion
· 2 cloves of garlic
· White wine
· Tomato puree
· Handful of fresh basil

Method:
· Slice the aubergines uniformly and briefly dry fry them, or grill them on a griddle pan if you have one (turns out I do not). Set aside.
· In a pot, sweat down the onions. When they’re done, add the garlic, the tomatoes, the tomato puree and a splosh of wine. Leave it to thicken, reduce, do whatever it has to do, whack in some herbs if you fancy. Oregano maybe.
Taste it. Tomato sauces can sometimes be bitter or metallic. If this has happened, sprinkle some sugar in. I promise it works.
· Grate the parmesan. (75g is a rough estimate it was basically about half of a normal size wedge but do however much you want).
· Tear up the mozzarella ball and the basil
· Assemble in a heatproof dish. Layer the aubergine slices up, alternating with the tomato sauce, some parmesan, a bit of basil, some mozzarella. Play it by ear. See how you feel. No rules.
· If you want a rule: aubergine, mozzarella, tomato sauce, parmesan, basil, aubergine, mozzarella, tomato sauce, parmesan, basil …. Approximately 4 times. Season each layer.
· Bake in an oven at 180c for 20ish minutes and serve with crusty bread and a green salad.

I’m sorry the picture is blurry. It was taken through a haze of tears due to my sister’s cutting remarks about my culinary ability. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.