Thursday 25 August 2011

Happy hour


And you thought tiny designer basil was useless


Cocktails! Today we take a whistle stop tour through some of my favourites. I invented these, so feel free to experiment. All measures approximate. And very approximate after 3 or 4. It’s called freepouring folks. Enjoy.

Pop my cherry
Spring 2010 - Invented for my sister M, with love. She drank 9 and threw up.

Glass: highball
3 parts vodka
2 parts cherry cordial (a morello syrup if you’re impressing someone, and a cheapo squash one if you want it to be BRIGHT PINK)
Top up with soda water
Garnish with fresh mint.

The Passion of Christ the oven’s switched off again
Easter 2011 - The natural response to my mother’s temperamental oven nearly ruining the shoulder of pork.

Glass: ‘whatever hasn’t already been set on the table, for god’s sake, can’t you see I’m busy’.
2 parts vodka
1 part amaretto
Top up with ginger ale
Garnish with a slice of lime.

Hammer of Death
Summer 2009 - a reunion with a friend who lives abroad necessitated a light afternoon cocktail. This wasn’t it.

Glass: tumbler
2 parts gin
2 parts blue curacao
Top up with bitter lemon

La Vie en Rose
Paris 2007 - Bittersweet, like my memories of France. Let’s not go into it.

Glass: champagne
2 parts vodka
1 part rose syrup
Top up with ultra brut champagne.

Basil and Elderflower Martini
Summer 2011 – things got a little out of hand with these and 3 sisters in the room.

Glass: martini
3 parts vodka
1 part elderflower cordial
Shake together with some bruised Greek basil over ice. Strain and serve. See picture above.

Other things I love but didn’t invent: Classic Champagne Cocktails, Martinis (straight up, with a twist), Whisky Sours and Singapore Slings.

I would love to drink Old Fashioneds and be like Don Draper but they’re too strong. If anyone knows a take on these that doesn’t resemble paint stripper, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.